Friday, December 2, 2016

Non-Fiction Book Review- Renee Chaffin


At my current site, I am teaching Humanities/ELA, and in our current project we are studying World Religions. I am embarrassed to say that I never took a religion course in college, and was not raised with faith or religion. I feel quite naive about this topic although I am deeply interested in the religions we have chosen to explore which include Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, and Christianity. I am also learning a great deal about how sensitive teaching religion at a public school can be as parents have threatened to “take me to social media and the newspaper,” when we discussed Islam and the election, and most recently when a student chose to research Satanism for his “World Religions Research Paper.” Deep sigh.

I chose to direct my lessons in from a more social justice angle, drawing from Teaching for Tolerance and The Southern Poverty Law Center for ideas for creating lessons, most of which were about Islam. I read this book to deepen my knowledge about the religion, and also to see what it feels like to be a Muslim teen in America. I realized that my lessons could have made more of an impact had my classroom been more diverse, and had my students ever met or come in contact with a Muslim. I myself do not personally know any Muslims, although we did have a guest speaker come in to the students’ Social Studies class where students could ask questions.

This was a fast and accessible read written for and by teens, although I recommend it to anyone looking to deepen their understanding about Islam without having to read the Koran or scan through the hateful press to find answers.  A mom and her kids penned this book after realizing that there were a plethora of books for Christian teens at their local bookstore, but very few options for Muslim teens.

The book covers the five pillars of Islam, and what they mean to Muslims and how they can be practiced in the US. The authors include Q&A’s by Muslim teens living in several states, and how they practice their faith. Interspersed throughout the book are multiple choice questions with scenarios that Muslim teens face on a regular basis and the answers provide suggestions for how to deal with the relevant questions that Muslims have to answer or defend daily in US schools.

For example: You overhear a group of ignorant bullies harassing some other Muslim students who are fasting during Ramadan. You:
  1. Ask your principal to make an announcement over the PA explaining Ramadan.
  2. Tell the bullies that they should try fasting to lose some of the unnecessary fat that is clogging up their brains-- then run!
  3. Pretend the rules of Ramadan don’t apply to you while you chow down in the cafeteria with your friends.

Answers: Choose only b if you’re on the track team, otherwise a is the way to go.

(Hafiz, 16&17).

I appreciate that the authors included a chapter called The Four Ds: Dating, Dancing, Drinking, and Drugs, which explains how Muslim students can enjoy American culture without breaking their faith. It also made me question why US culture has so many temptations? Are Americans (including Christians), always looking for an escape? Why do teens have to face so many moral challenges and dilemmas in our society that is in many ways too protective of children?

The authors do not preach to readers about whether or not they should wear a hijab or go to prom. They ultimately lead the reader to the conclusion that being a Muslim teen in America is difficult, but there are still ways to respect yourself, your culture, your heritage, and your current identity as an American teen. They provide honest answers from teens across the country about whether or not they wear their hijab, if they fast during Ramadan at school, and if they go to prom; ultimately leading the reader that their faith is in their control and it is up to the individual and his or her relationship with God to make decisions for how to pray, fast, and have a relationship with God.

I recommend this book to adults and teens alike, from all faiths. It is short, informative, and as I previously stated, “doesn’t preach.” I didn’t figure out a way to incorporate it into my unit, but I could offer it as an extension opportunity for students looking to learn more about Islam.

I would ask my students to consider the recent election. What do you think would happen if Donald Trump fulfilled his promise to deport all Muslims and ban Muslims from coming to America?

What is Islamophobia? Have you ever encountered it at school?

Why do you think it is controversial to talk about Islam in a public school?

What do you know about Islam? Have you ever met or talked to a Muslim?

What are some common stereotypes about Muslims?

Have you heard of 9/11? What happened? How do you think Muslim’s lives have been affected since 9/11?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? Want to? Didn't like it very much. Know about another book like it? Share your ideas.