Saturday, December 3, 2016

Ghosts by Raina Telgemeier - reviewed by Diana Foster


Ghosts by Raina Telgemeier
A graphic novel reviewed by Diana Foster



Raina Telgemeier has been a favorite author of my fifth grade students for the past few years. Ghosts has been circulating in our classroom since it was first published, so I appreciated the opportunity to read and discuss this book with my students.

The story is told from the perspective of Catrina, a tween girl moving with her family from Southern California to a small coastal town in Central California. We soon learn that the move is necessary because her younger sister, Maya, has Cystic Fibrosis and the climate will be better for Maya’s health. They arrive in their new town in October, just as the town is preparing to celebrate Dia de los Muertos. Catrina befriends a boy named Carlos who teaches her about the customs of this holiday and how it honors the spirits of lost loved ones. Catrina worries that the spirits will take Maya with them, at the same time that she is trying to fit into a new community.


-->
My students have enjoyed this novel, and it is accessible to the many different reading levels of my students, because much of the story is told through the graphics. When I checked it out of our school library, our librarian told me that there is some controversy surrounding the book. When I read the book, I didn’t notice anything that seemed offensive, so I researched further. In one part of the book, Cat visits the Missions and meets friendly ghosts. After further review, I agree that there should be more cultural sensitivity regarding the mistreatment of Native people and the California Missions.  I plan to use this as a discussion topic with my students to teach them about different perspectives. I still believe that Raina Telgemeier has successfully told a story that touches on the subject of illness and death in a way that is accessible to children.

1 comment:

  1. When I spent time in a 5th grade class, they were reading this book in small reading groups and they LOVED IT! So many different readers enjoyed reading this book out loud, and it was relatable to all of the students. They talked about the move, siblings, family structures, etc.
    I really enjoyed hearing this book be read and talked about by 5th graders!
    -Lauren G.

    ReplyDelete

Have you read this book? Want to? Didn't like it very much. Know about another book like it? Share your ideas.