Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Louise, The Adventures of a Chicken reviewed by Danya- Action/Adventure

Genre: Action/Adventure
Louise, The Adventures of a Chicken
Kate DiCamillio
Illustrated by Harry Bliss



A truly fun and exciting read following one very imaginative hen! Kate DiCamillo expertly brings the reader along on several adventures imagined up by Louise, a hen who is less than amused by the life she lives in the henhouse. In chapter 1, we find Louise at sea aboard a pirate ship. In Chapter 2, we find Louise in the circus on a tightrope above a lion awaiting her fall. In Chapter 3, we find Louise aboard at a grand bazaar in what appears to be a middle-eastern country. 


This story is so delightful because it does not have the violent or aggressive nature sometimes found in other action/adventure books. I especially appreciate the strength, tenacity, and drive of this little hen and the fact that it is a female character exuding this drive to explore far beyond the reaches of her henhouse. This story would be a great read aloud accompanying a creative writing lesson. The story can easily be extended with students writing their own version of Louise’s next adventure. I highly recommend this story for k-3 teachers. It is by far one of my favorite read-alouds and my students get a kick out of Louise and her wonderful adventures!

3 comments:

  1. When I saw this review, I immediately recognized the author's name 'Kate DiCamillo' but couldn't place it with her other books. When I 'Googled it' I realized where I knew her name from - 'Because of Winn Dixie' and 'The Tale of Despereaux.' Both excellent books but ones I read a very long time ago. Thank you for bringing them back to my attention - I am now looking forward to reading them again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Kate DiCamillo! Flora and Ulysses, another book of adventure, was quirky fun, too. I'm adding this one to my list. Thank you! Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate DiCamillo! My students and I absolutely love her books! I read Because of Winn Dixie, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, and The Tale of Despereaux with my 3rd Graders every year! I am extremely eager to get my hands on this book!
    -Ayisha

    ReplyDelete

Have you read this book? Want to? Didn't like it very much. Know about another book like it? Share your ideas.