Tuesday, November 29, 2016

How to Heal a Broken Wing reviewed by Danya- Empathy Genre

Genre: Empathy
How to Heal a Broken Wing
Bob Graham



I realize “Empathy” was not a genre we discussed in class, but this is a theme I’ve tried to introduce more in my classroom this year. I think students needs to see empathy modeled in picture books so I hope this will become a genre that is more widely talked about. The American Library Association has a full list of children’s books that deal with empathy. The list is titled “Unity, Kindness, Peace.”

Like, The Lion and the Mouse (previously reviewed), this book delivers a message of kindness and displays the good that can come from having empathy for one another. This book has very little text and really uses its illustrations to drive the story.  Some pages don’t even have any text, while some may only have 2-3 words. Will, a young boy, is the only person who sees a bird fall from the sky after it flies into the shiny window of a building in a big city. While he watches it and runs to its aid, people continue on with their days, ignoring the bird and generally not noticing it even when it lays helpless on the ground at their feet. The story follows him as he takes the bird home and cares for it until it can be released back into the sky.

Similar to a wordless picture book, the story is thought provoking and excellent for generating discussion among students. It is also extremely touching and heartwarming, which my students felt as well. In my first grade classroom, we discussed potential scenarios in which one could be more empathic at school. In addition, students shared with each other times when they witnessed empathy of when they felt they had empathy for someone else. Because there is very little text, it is also a good reference book for students to go back to when empathy seems to be lacking in their interactions at school.  An endearing book, sure to be beneficial for all young students.


“High above the city, no one heard the soft thud of feathers against glass. No one saw the bird fall. Except Will.”

2 comments:

  1. I have not read this book - yet! I love the theme and that you found a book that focuses on empathy and understanding of the feelings of others.
    In my opinion, you cannot talk about this topic enough with young children. Finding a good text that helps support, and strengthen, student's learning and understanding of social emotional skills, is so very vital to a child's healthy development.
    Thank you, I will add this book to my classroom collection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have found a love for pictures books as this class went on and I have made an effort to put more on my shelf. I LOVE to assist in conversations that my children have around each picture book.
    As you said, empathy is a very important and relevant topic for 1st graders, and children all ages. I have never read this book but now want to!
    Thanks for sharing!
    -Lauren G.

    ReplyDelete

Have you read this book? Want to? Didn't like it very much. Know about another book like it? Share your ideas.