Sunday, December 4, 2016

A Pizza the Size of the Sun by Jack Prelutsky, James Stevenson

This book is filled with silly and hilariously fun poems that most children will enjoy. One thing I really appreciate about this compilation is that the poems vary in length, word choice, and topic which makes it accessible to reader of varying ages and levels. This book would be great in any classroom library and could be useful to introduce a poetry unit. I remember looking past poetry books in my school library because they intimidated me. Had I come across this book I think I would’ve felt more comfortable exploring the genre further.

I would use poems from this book to help students that struggle with reading fluently. Poetry is a great genre to improve fluency because it requires the use of rhythm, vocal intonation, comprehending mood and context. Using these poems means students would have to read with energy and animation. They could be silly and laugh which is one way to lower their effective filter and help them feel more comfortable working with the genre and their peers.

By: Elizabeth Moro

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? Want to? Didn't like it very much. Know about another book like it? Share your ideas.