Monday, November 28, 2016

Meryl Blomseth: brown girl dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson


When I first picked up this book, I did not know how deeply I would be moved.

Woodson's memoir is beautifully written in free verse. Born in 1963, she recounts her formative years sharing stories from Ohio and on. Her words sing a sweet song as she forges incredible images in your mind. Her tales of what it felt like to see her father for the last time, to the Sunday pressed curls, moving to New York, and all of the small moments in between are heart-wrenching. Woodson does a beautiful job illustrating the feeling of being Black in the middle of the civil rights movement. As her family moves from Greenville, South Carolina to Brooklyn, New York, Woodson undergoes a transformation. Woodson knows hardship like the back of her hand.

I think this book would be appropriate for teaching students who are upper elementary and above. This book could be a wonderful way to introduce the Civil Rights movement. Woodson is a wonderful role model for students as she experiences poverty, grief, and discrimination. She did not let hardships stop her from reaching her goal of becoming an author. This book is a must read.




3 comments:

  1. I remember someone shared this in class and I was intrigued. What grades do you recommend it for? I am going to place a hold on this book at the library. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book does explore topics that I could see maybe 8th graders and up understanding.

      Delete
  2. Memoirs are one of my favorite genres to read. I can't believe I have never heard of this book! This sounds like a wonderful book although I don't see me reading it with my 3rd Graders, I will enjoy it myself and keep it in mind if I ever teach upper grades.
    -Ayisha

    ReplyDelete

Have you read this book? Want to? Didn't like it very much. Know about another book like it? Share your ideas.