Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Graphic Novel By Jennifer Salazar

Image result for smile graphic novel

Smile, by Raina Telgemeir, is not only a graphic novel, but an autobiography of her 6th grade experience. This novel is an authentic story of a middle school experience. Raina, a 6th grader, ends up going through some trying experiences during her middle school course. While running around with her girl scout buddies, she falls and breaks her two front teeth. Her journey with this accident causes resilience, hardships and life lessons for Raina. With surgeries, natural disasters and boy and friend troubles, she finds her way through the 6th grade experience.

The graphic novel is a perfect way for middle school students to connect with Raina's experiences and to help them understand life's funny ways of twists and turns is a natural part of life.  Highly recommended for early school ages!

I thoroughly enjoyed this novel, although it wasn't my favorite, I wish I had read this novel in middle school. I feel it would have helped me feel a bit normal and not so strange with the journey I went on throughout my early education. A definite thumbs up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you read this book? Want to? Didn't like it very much. Know about another book like it? Share your ideas.