Saturday, December 3, 2016

Adriana Rodriguez' Graphic Novel read: Lowriders in Space



Lowriders in Space written by Cathy Camper is a great book. I read this book to my 5th grade class and they truly enjoyed this graphic novel. I have some boys who are sometimes hesitant and reluctant readers and this book definitely caught their attention. Many requested to check it out of the library after it was read!

This book resembles many lowriders from the Chicano (Mexican-American) culture with the exception that these lowriders will not only travel on the road but also into space! It also has some words in Spanish and popular sayings for adolescents, they are sure to love!  Lowriders in Space takes place in South Vacaville. Some of the characters in this book are Lupe Impala, the mechanic extraordinary, Erilio Malaria the best detail artist around. In the story there is a universal car competition and the most mechanically inventive and precisely detailed cosmic car wins the grand prize of a carload of cash and a steering wheel made of pure gold. Lowriders in Space takes a reader through a space adventure, filled with great and detailed graphics, kids are surely drawn too. Lupe Impala and Elirio Malaria have a big task to complete when they are fixing and detailing their low and slow car that didn't even go. Through hard work, perseverance and teamwork along with many helping friends and hands, like El Chavo Flapjack's the Octopus, they built the car of their cosmic car of their dreams. This book is a must read for students!

Furthermore, one of my favorite Some of my favorite aspects of this book was that it touched upon gender issues and stereotypes.  It breaks down society's/social stereotypes of women being in positions that men usually have in our society and many other's. Who says women can't be mechanics? I love how this important role is played by a woman and the significance it carries in the story.

2 comments:

  1. Adriana - this looks like a great book to introduce to my 5th grade class. I have been looking for books with more cultural representation. Thank you - Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I have a few students at my school who would enjoy reading this book! We have such a high population of Hispanic students and Lowriders are definitely a topic of interest on the playground. I think I might have to read this book myself since Lowriders were very popular in my own family.
    -Ayisha

    ReplyDelete

Have you read this book? Want to? Didn't like it very much. Know about another book like it? Share your ideas.