Sunday, November 27, 2016

Lauren Geiger
EDRL 524
November 27,2016

Informational Text Review


Book: Solar System (written and illustrated by: Jill McDonald)

Annotation: This children’s book about the solar system is made up of cartoon like visuals that help explain the solar system and its relation to everyday life. For example, one of the pages says, “can you see the moon?” while displaying trees, and the earth, along with the moon in the night sky. This book uses a variety of colors, shapes and textures to explain an inform children about the solar system and what it encompasses.

Opinion: I love having this book on my bookshelf in my class because of its fun nature. I love the way that Jill McDonald uses colors and shapes to make the illustrations visually appealing and interesting to the children. This book is always very popular when it is out and the children love it.


Questions for future readers: One of the activities that I like to do with the children that I have is circle time talks about the different planets, their colors, sizes, and individual features. As for the moon, I like to involve the parents and talk to their children about the moon. This brings up the idea that the moon is only visible in the early morning and night times. Having children take the information they know and applying it to their everyday life is the best part of this book.

1 comment:

  1. I have not read this book but am looking forward to sharing it with my students. We do a unit on the solar system so it would be a wonderful text to add to my collection. The bold colors and illustrations would definitely be something they would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

Have you read this book? Want to? Didn't like it very much. Know about another book like it? Share your ideas.