Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Crossover - reviewed by Diana Foster

Crossover  by Kwame Alexander

Reviwed by Diana Foster


Kwame Alexander brilliantly tells the heartwarming story of two basketball-playing brothers in this novel written using a poetic format. The book immediately hooks you in with its rhythm and quickly moving prose.  Josh "Filthy" Bell and Jordan "JB" Bell are twin 13-year old brothers navigating the challenges of adolescence when family relationships change as new relationships form. Their mother is the middle school vice principal, and their father is a retired professional basketball player, both supporting and guiding them in their own ways.


-->
Alexander has divided the book into quarters like the game of basketball, with “rules of the game” interspersed throughout. I picked up this book to read after many reluctant readers from my class had enthusiastically recommended it to me. I began reading it expecting it to follow the typical plot of a sports themed novel. Instead the depth of the characters and the thoughtful discussion of the challenges of sibling competition in a middle school setting pleasantly surprised me.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like an interesting book! I think we read a short passage from it in class, right? Do you teach middle school? I will reserve this book at the library! Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I teach fifth grade, and they love it. I probably wouldn't recommend it for younger students, but it would certainly be appropriate for middle school students. Enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you reviewed this book. I've been trying to get my eldest to read it and he doesn't seem that interested. Now I have a few more details to entice him with. Thanks!
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard wonderful things about this book! I find it really cool that the author divided the book into 4 quarters similar to a basketball game. I also thought it was just a regular sports novel, which is why I didn't add it to my list of "must read" books. After reading your review I have definitely changed my mind!
    -Ayisha

    ReplyDelete

Have you read this book? Want to? Didn't like it very much. Know about another book like it? Share your ideas.